Tuesday, March 10, 2009

And We Have the Key to the Key Events!

Well, well. Thanks to a guy named Jorick Jester and his wonderful KernelHotKey driver, I've now managed to send keyboard events to games! And everything else for that matter since it's on a super low level. You actually intercept the event just after the key press. And, if you want, you can do whatever you want with the event, before it even reaches anything else...

You start by pressing a key on the keyboard you want to send from. That is, you identify the keyboard first. When that is done, I get, and keep a reference to that keyboard in my application. And then, I can send events as if I pressed on the keyboard using that reference! Pretty nifty! Games are none the wiser!

Usually, games have protection against these kind of things, because of cheaters. But, since this is on such a low level, they can't tell if I pressed a key physically or not. Also, I will naturally not use this to cheat in games. This is for a good cause.

2 comments:

  1. I'm using it, its awesome. Do you have any issues using it in higher versions than XP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I haven't used this in a long time, so I don't know.

      Delete