Thursday, February 12, 2009

Where it all began...

So, I thought... how to make this gaming thing more real, fun and at the same time - exercise? Or, how can I exercise and have fun at the same time? Really, I want to bring as realistic experience to gaming as possible and more than just pressing buttons and moving one arm. Not just PLAYING the game - Be IN the game.

A few months ago, I bought a USB bike, and been using it a lot. So, one can say this is the next step. Pun intended. :)

The main goal is to let my treadmill work with... say FPS games. So I can walk/run on the treadmill and that will move the character in the game. Then we'll see what could be next.

As you can see in the header image, I'm using a Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit and under the treadmill, I have taped a Razer Deathadder mouse. I'm using this 1800 DPI mouse, since it really has to have high DPI to be able to catch the fast speed going when running on the treadmill. This has been tested, and works really well. I tried a mouse with less than 1000 DPI, and that one couldn't handle running speeds.

The Pro Gamer Command Unit is for all commands one can do in a game. So I can e.g. open doors... The mouse is connected to the computer and I was testing around with GlovePIE. Worked perfectly. This in front of my projected screen, it will surely feel like walking in the game. :)

However...

If it wasn't for games seemingly just grabbing input from every mouse connected to the computer, I would be all set by now. So, this will be the adventure of figuring out a way to make it work walking/running on the treadmill and let the character only walk/run in the game...

I welcome any help I can get!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment